This week we find Derek and Eric bonding .......
They drooled over her beautiful outfits, pieces of jewellery, painted body casts, shoe and sketch book among the exhibits ........
...... while the rest of the exhibition, seemed to be padded out with an awful lot of other work by artists and designers influenced by her.
I believe, at first, Derek and Eric were both a little afraid to tell each other what they really thought, thinking it must be just them and that they weren't entirely understanding of it all .......
...... however on reading a few reviews by several much more eminent critics than themselves, it appears that their observations and opinions was also expressed by others, private owners, it seems, were reluctant to lend Tate Modern their treasured originals by Frida (including Madonna), hence their sparsity and the gap fillers! With that Derek and Eric felt vindicated. The gift shop was also disappointing leaving any momento that our intrepid duo had hoped to perhaps purchase lost, however, from what I hear, this was the only slight blip on their trip.





2 comments:
I'm afraid I'm not a fan of Frida Kahlo. Mrs. D and I went to an exhibition of her work, and it left us underwhelmed.
The table with the candles is called an ofrenda.
Wikipedia:
An ofrenda (which means "offering" in Spanish) is a temporary altar set up in homes or public spaces to welcome and honor deceased loved ones during the Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos) celebration on November 1st and 2nd.
That's a pity - but as the saying goes, "You can't win 'em all" I'm sure the rest of the trip will give a lot more than Tate Modern lacks. If that makes sense ! (It's Monday morning and I haven't quite got myself into first gear here!) JantheFan X
Post a Comment