Wednesday 28 August 2024

Flipping, Flipping Bindweed .......

I have a theory that one day ............


........ Calystegia Sepium, more commonly known as flipping bind weed, will completely take over the world in some insidious triffid type fashion.  I absolutely hate it with a passion ..... and that's not like me! All it seems to do is take over and try to strangle every single tree I see and it's seems particularly bad this year.  I can't believe just how far it's managed to reach in some trees ....... aghhhhhhhh!


Perhaps, I am too unforgiving, as bindweed is not even classed as a weed (????), and our beloved No.1 fan, Jan the Fan and lover of all things nature, would no doubt be able to tell us that its leaves are a wonderous comestible for beetles and caterpillars and the 
flowers are excellent pollinators for  bees and butterflies .........  but that still doesn't mean that I have to like it! What am I like? 

2 comments:

Mr.D said...

Bindweed is bad, but I think Japanese knotweed is even worse. JtF can most likely tell us.

Anonymous said...

Mr D you are correct. I think J. knotweed is particularly as it can even break through concrete. Bindweed can be a 'bind' for gardeners I understand, however, yes Monkey it is an excellent pollinator - sorry! JantheFan x